I wonder whose bright idea it was to cancel House after it's 8th successful season. It's so like Hollywood innit... the minute they have something good that's worth watching, they go ahead and get rid of it so that they can torture us with never-ending pointless soapies and reality shows about people we don't care for and their dogs.
What really stands out about the character (for me) is that I can't ever imagine anyone else playing Gregory House other than Hugh Laurie. In fact, sometimes its difficult to distinguish that they aren't the same person. It was indeed a sad day to hear that House was axed. And then I thought of all the memorable lines. There are hundreds of witty one-liners, I've narrowed it down to my top 5:
5. "There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate."
4. "It's one of the great tragedies of life — something always changes."
3. "Disappointment is anger for wimps."
2. "You talk to God, you're religious; God talks to you, you're psychotic."
1. "It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what."
The neurotic, sarcastic anti-hero has become a winning formula for successful TV shows. I guess it's because people can either relate to the characters or they wish they were more like them. My all time favourite anti-hero was Karen Walker but she's got some stiff competition from Sue Sylvester, the resident torturer slash teacher on Glee.
Sue Sylvester is the only reason I watch Glee. In terms of nastiness, it's difficult to establish who'd win between Gregory House and Sue Sylvester. Although, I somehow think that Sue is just downright mean (but oh so funny). My top 5 favourite lines:
5. [To Emma] "You know, the way you use your mental illness to help these kids is really inspiring. I'm shocked you're not married."
4. "I, for one, think intimacy has no place in a marriage. Walked in on my parents once, and it was like seeing two walruses wrestling."
3. "I suggest you pre-actively check into rehab, as you are a future alcoholic."
2. "I'm reasonably confident that you will be adding revenge to the long list of things you're no good at, right next to being married, running a high school glee club, and finding a hair style that doesn't make you look like a lesbian."
1. [To Will] "I don't trust a man with curly hair. I can't help picturing small birds laying sulfurous eggs in there, and I find it disgusting."
There are so many lines that I can't even pick just five. I wonder who sits around thinking up this stuff.